Daniel died at home in 1751 leaving Eleanor with young children still to raise. Her son John continued his studies in France, joining the Jesuit Order, finally returning to Maryland when the Pope suppressed the Order in 1773. He lived with his mother and held mass in her home in Rock Creek and eventually in the chapel that his mother had built on the property in what is now Forest Glen. This was the Rock Creek Mission and Johnís church and parish were called St. John the Evangelist. Both his mother and his brother Daniel were generous in support of his work.
The original chapel is gone now but a replica was built later on. It stands next to the cemetery, St. John the Evangelist Cemetery, or the Carroll Cemetery, where Eleanor Darnall Carroll and many other Carroll and Brent family members are buried.
Carroll Family of Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Ann Carroll and Robert Brent
Daniel Carroll II, 1730-1796
Memorial stone for Daniel Carroll II, Forest Glen, Maryland
Carroll Cemetery, Forest Glen, Maryland
Gravestone of Eleanor Darnall Carroll, mother of Daniel Carroll II, Forest Glen, Maryland
Faith In Art: Justus Engelhardt Kuhnís Portrait Of Eleanor Darnall
A Thesis submitted to the Faculty of The School of Continuing Studies and of The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
By Kathleen Orr Pomerenk, B.A. Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., April 15, 2009.
Georgetown University Library, Digital Georgetown
Geiger, Sister M. Virgina, Daniel Carroll II, One Man and His Descendants, 1730-1798 ,College of Notre Dame of Maryland, 1979.
Huffman, Ronald, Princes of Ireland, Planters of Maryland, A Carroll Saga, 1500-1782, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press, 2000.
Portrait of Eleanor Darnall: The large oil portrait was painted about 1910 by Justus Engelhardt Kuhn, a German immigrant. A portrait of her older brother Henry was also painted by Kuhn about the same time. Eleanor was about six years old when the portrait was painted, perhaps not long before she left for her education in France. The image above is courtesy of the Maryland Historical Society, 1912.1.5, http://www.mdhs.org/digitalimage/darnall-eleanor-1704-1796. The Society received the portrait in 1912 from a member of the Daingerfield family who was a direct descendant of Eleanorís brother Henry. The portrait had been in the family for over 200 years and had hung in the Darnall family home, Poplar Hill, for several generations.